Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Amusing Ourselves to Death... Literally.

Reading this book ENTERTAINED me so much that I almost died....

Well to a more serious note, let's move on to my personal reviews of this book. The author's overall argument in SIMPLIFIED terms is that everything we do needs to be supported with some sort of entertainment. This is caused by the evolution of mediums; ways we communicate. As soon as the television came into existence, people have learned to expect "entertainment" for every single thing they participate in. Whether it may be school, church, and so on. People's attention span is limited only to entertainment. I think the content of the book is important. People today should be aware of television and the effects of it. How addictive it can be, alter people's talking style, etc.

I would recommend to NOT read this book. It was probably one of the hardest books to read. Postman uses a lot of needless vocabulary and references to make his point. It was very hard to read. I've read difficult books before with formal diction and elaborate syntax, but this book was just over redundant with everything.  Each chapter is an example of why people are addicted to entertainment. Within each chapter contains MILLIONS of examples. MILLIONS. Even right now, I can't recall much of what the book was about. There were so many examples that if I were to skip until the end of the chapter, I wouldn't miss a thing. This book could have been condensed to, let's see, about five pages. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if this book was more simplified.

So after reading this review, it is now UP TO YOU to make the decision. Read the book? Not read the book? Read Twilight? Sure. (BWAHAHAHAHA! But a book you all should read is Battle Royal or Pride and Prejudice. Or just read a book, don't watch television.)

No comments:

Post a Comment