Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sick, rest, tv, bake, homework.

This long weekend was a perfect chance for me to get some rest and some sleep. Well it first started off with me being sick for two day or so. Yeah that was awesome..... At least during this time I was able to catch up on some episodes of The Office. I love that show, and no matter how long it goes I will never get tired of watching it. The latest episode, called the Garden Party, was a great way to reestablish the hate relationship between Jim and Dwight. My favorite part was at the end when Dwight had to keep announcing Jim's name out of formality, classic! Dwight's face at the end is just priceless. 
It looked something like this!

Along with doing homework and catching up on shows, I had some time bake! I was able to make cream puffs and macaroons! It was delicious! Since it's my first time making the macaroons, I baked them for too long so they were a little dry, but the idea was there, and I'll do better next time! 
Luckily I was able to spend a little bit of time with my family. We were able to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly featuring Clint Eastwood. What a badass movie! I just love the plot and how everything built up toward the end of the movie. I don't want to talk too much about it if none of you guys have seen it, but it's a must watch movie. Along with watching a movie, I talked to my mom to catch up on current events. So apparently there are protests near the New York Stock Exchange, all around the world, and especially in Twin Cities. How are these places related? Well people are protesting about the economy. 
To sum up, people in the U.S. are angry that banks are able to make profits after the bailout in 2008 while there is a 9% unemployment rate and recession. So a bank bailout is supposed to give money to banks so that they can slow down the payments they are collecting from their customers. But instead, there have been many foreclosures and banks gaining profits while the people are suffering. Dude I'm pretty pissed off too! I know a lot of people who are going through hardships right now. Knowing that there's money floating somewhere in the big businesses is totally messed up and unethical. I know in terms of business that business owners want to make as much profit as possible, but how is that possible if the people in the U.S. can't support themselves and there fore how can they purchase products. It's like in seventh grade, the vicious circle. If there is no money, no one is going to buy products, if no one buys products, then businesses will lose money, if businesses lose money, they have to lay off people, if they lay off people, then there's less money to spend, and so on! I don't know anymore. Politics and business is so sketchy, scary, and stupid that I don't know what to say anymore. I remember last year when I brought up the question, " Why is the U.S. donating money to Japan (Tsunami) when our economy is going through a recession and there are many other financial problems within the U.S." My teacher couldn't answer that question. Why is U.S. donating to Japan? (Not like I'm against it, but how are they doing it?) Are they doing it so that Japan will be able to help the U.S. when we're in trouble? Are they doing it to look good? I just feel like there's a specific reason why we're investing in something like this. Where's the money? Where??? Makes me feel uneasy.
Where?!?! Where's the money!
Learning about the actions of the U.S. through the cold war made everything else more sketchy, like doing undercover assignments, spying on other countries, getting involved with every country in the world, getting involved in wars, etc.  Even though some facts may be controversial, I wish that U.S. government can release more information about what they are doing and why so there will be less doubts and questions. Just accept the news and move on. 
(Keep in mind that I'm not trying to persuade you guys on what views to take, I'm just talking about what I've been hearing lately in the news and what I think about it. I'm also not against different types of people in general.) I'm also very interested in what my future is going to look like for my generation. While these protests were going on in NYSE, many homeless and gay people gathered around to protest too. All I can say is wow. What a great opportunity for gays to come in and start protesting for their rights, and all of the homeless people came mainly because they ate the food the protesters provided. This just shows the need of the people and how they are going to fight for their right. Very interesting. I feel as if there's going to be a new version of "beatniks" or "hippies" soon in the future. They're probably going to be called hipsters because believe it or not, it's already a very popular term. (But I think it's used more for the style of clothing rather than the norms of a hipster.) Seriously though, groups like these start usually by some kind of disagreement within the norms of society or in politics. This occurred in the sixties when hippies arose because there was a lot of war (Cold war); people gathered to protest against hatred and war, held similar morals and ethics, participated in group activities (drugs, rock concerts, laying around (protesting)), then it became a huge movement. Just waiting to see what happens. 
The world is changing really fast everyday, and if we aren't able to adapt quickly enough, we'll fall behind, and that's the truth. But in some ways, old school techniques will always work in some situations. 
Well on another note, here are some things that I found over the weekend: 
THIS IS AWESOME! I wonder what I would've put down...
Nicki Minaj is fantastic. Her songs are great and she's been through a lot of crap in her life. I just admire how strongly she projects herself and how confident she is. In this video she is talking about how women are looked at within society compared to men. Beware there may be some swear words. Well enough blogging for now, time to do some more homework! TA-TA!! 

2 comments:

  1. You made macaroons? AND cream puffs? AWESOME! I've always wanted to make those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was yummy!! When we have time, we should have a baking party!

    ReplyDelete