Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

The internet has done what? X2 pg 126

One thing that has drastically changed our world today is the presence of the internet. How has this affected us?

  • Makes us more introverted. 
    • There has been a time when I befriended someone and I thought that this person was really quiet and humble. Then KABOOM! When we started chatting on facebook, this person just went off like a broken fire hydrant! I could not believe my eyes in how wordy and enthusiastic this person was! Even to this day, the person is still really quiet in appearance, but very expressive through the web. Some people are more confident in front of a computer screen compared to a real person. 
  • Detaches us from the beauties of life.
    • There are those times when I wish people would get off of their devices so we can just hang out! What are they looking at? Random stuff on the web that relates in no way to them or to the specific occasion. One clear example of this type of situation was when I went to a place which had a lot of rides, and a lot of lines. I went with a group of people in hopes of a nice bonding and memorable experience. But no, that wish can't be granted now can it. The whole day I spent alone, looking at the scenery (my phone doesn't have any high tech internent stuff..), while the other people wasted their time looking at stuff on their phone...stupid technology. Even so, people reluctantly want to leave their house because they rather watch random youtube videos to satisfy their entertainment. 
  • Helps us to believe false information. 
    • Anyone can post things on the web. How do people get information? Google search. Click on the first thing that pops up. Read. Done. 
  • Encourages people to pursue horrible spelling manner. 
    • Ever since the Internet came out, so did instant messaging. Instant messaging apparently requires a more efficient way of talking, therefore people abbreviate words to the extreme. Here's a website to help you out. http://www.internetslang.com/
Besides all of these negative aspects of the internet, there have been many positives too. People are able to become more open minded by exploring different cultures and ideas through the web. Also, if people aren't given the opportunity to go to certain events such as a magic show, concert, fashion event, etc, then they can surely turn to the web to read up or watch videos related to the topic. Plus, the web has created a lot of jobs concerning technology and has made jobs easier by giving people the choice to work at home rather than at the workplace. 

Personally for me, I don't know what I would do without the Internet. There are so many school clubs that I need to keep up with by sending numerous emails and notifications through the web. The web surprisingly made it easier for college applications. All I had to do was go online, apply, put in my personal essay, then I'm done! Most importantly, I learn a lot of things from the web too. I love to try and find videos (if they aren't removed yet) on youtube that contains content from BBC wildlife or something of the sort. I just love to watch those videos in slow mo. 

So is the internet good? Bad? Only you can decide your fate...

No comments:

Post a Comment